Friday, May 20, 2011

My life with me

Several years ago I saw a remarkable film entitled My Life Without Me. It's about a young woman who discovers she is dying and how she lives her foreshortened life with fresh passion and urgency. The realization that she won't have the life that she imagined with her husband and two young children leads her to try and ensure their future happiness before she dies. She plans her life without her in it.

(No, I'm not planning on dying any time soon!)

What I am trying to do is live my life with me. It's tougher than it sounds because this wasn't the life I thought I'd be living. In the words of John Lennon, life is what happens when you're busy making other plans. Nine months after I got married, my husband died very suddenly and I went from being a newlywed to being a widow.

My life changed dramatically in an instant... I just hadn't realized it yet.

After a several, painful, foggy years on auto-pilot, I slowly realized that I was beginning to live a new life. Not an "our" life but a "my" life. I hung onto "our" and "we" for a long time. I didn't want to go back to being a "my" and an "I" but that's what I was... only different.

So that's what I'm going scribble about. My passion for travel & photography & food & books & films. My brazen opinions on many different topics both trivial & important. My ongoing chocolate box home renos. My thrift shopping adventures. My friends & family.

My life... with me.
.

No comments:

Post a Comment